Parks closed due to icy conditions
Icy conditions have forced the closure of several parks and a car park in Ipswich.
IPSWICH: Icy conditions have forced the closure of several parks and a car park in Ipswich.
Sports centres in the town have also been closed by the borough council.
Christchurch Park, Alexandra Park and Holywells Park, as well as the Portman Road car park, have been shut due to the ice, which has made them too hazardous for people to use.
Maidenhall, Gainsborough, Whitton and Northgate centres are also closed today for similar reasons. It is anticipated that they will reopen as scheduled on Sunday December 27. At the moment the swimming pools remain open.
An Ipswich Borough Council spokesman said: “Steps are being taken to clear the ice from the Portman Road car park so it can be re-opened as soon as possible.
"We will be inspecting the parks on Christmas morning but if the ice lingers they will remain closed until Boxing Day. We know some people like to walk in the park on Christmas Day but their safety is our top priority.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 4 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich
- 5 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 6 Open day for Ipswich pub on sale for £300,000
- 7 Man with learning difficulties will not go to prison for sex offence
- 8 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 9 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 10 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
“In the meantime we advise people to be extra cautious in these conditions and not walk on the paths in the parks until the ice has cleared.”