Pastures new for former ITFC midfielder Darren Ambrose as he opens Mr Barbers with best friend
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Former ITFC midfielder Darren Ambrose has launched a new career in the opening of his first barber’s shop, Mr Barber, with business partner Nathan Head.
The best friend duo opened the barbers, on Duke Street, on Saturday.
Ambrose said the first few days have been “magnificent”.
“I always wanted to be an owner of a business and have a career after football,” he said. “We always said we would go into business together and we are delighted it’s happened.
“On Saturday we had between 70-80 people come through the door.”
You may also want to watch:
Co-owner Mr Head said the opening had “surpassed all their expectations”.
“We’ve had a really great response,” he said. “Everyone seems to love what we are doing.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 4 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 5 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 6 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 7 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 10 Two people rescued after search off Harwich coast
“The customer is number one. We will go to the end of the earth to ensure they get what they want.”
While part of the national Mr Barbers company, Mr Ambrose and Mr Head hold their own licence for the Ipswich shop.
Mr Ambrose said he intended to work closely with the ITFC Academy by offering sponsorship to players, and also planned to run charity events.
“I came up through the ranks at the academy so we are going to try and give something back to the club,” he said. “They looked out for me when I was young, so I just want to give something back now I have ended my [football] career.”