Patriotic builders show their colours
TWO BUILDING buddies decided on a patriotic paint job when they couldn't find an England flag for their car.Builders John Shevlin and Steve Paternoster watched England trounce Denmark on Saturday morning.
TWO BUILDING buddies decided on a patriotic paint job when they couldn't find an England flag for their car.
Builders John Shevlin and Steve Paternoster watched England trounce Denmark on Saturday morning.
But they were left flagging when John's daughters Jasmine and Jessica asked for a St George Cross for the car.
After searching the shops in vain, John and Steve, who share the car, decided to dig out the brushes and create their own flag – on the car's roof, bonnet and doors.
You may also want to watch:
Steve, 33, of Fawley Close, Ipswich, said: "John could have got a flag free from JJB Sports if he'd bought a t-shirt, but he didn't want to spend the money."
"All the brickies have had a go at the painting, so it's amazing how straight it is."
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Woman in 80s remains in hospital after serious collision in Ipswich
- 3 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 4 Ipswich father caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 5 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 6 9 bargain attractions within an hour of Ipswich
- 7 Rushmere man admits downloading indecent images of children
- 8 Bicycle stolen from parked car in Ipswich
- 9 Pub bosses hope for 'return to normality' as Covid cases fall in Ipswich
- 10 Hail, thunder and gusty winds forecast for Suffolk
Steve said he was pleased with the end result, but wasn't sure if wife Mandy would be so happy.
He said: "I could be living in it by the end of the night."
John, 38, of Bramley Chase, Ipswich, was a little more confident it would go down well with the family, including wife Debbie.
He said: "I mentioned it to her on Saturday, but I think she'll be surprised we've done it. She said she was going to drive it to work if we did it.
"The two girls will be chuffed to bits. They've been right into the football and they started asking for a flag on Saturday after the game."
John was confident the paint job will not leave him red-faced after the next tie.
He said: "I'm very confident we'll beat Brazil and the car will stay the same to bring luck."