Pedestrian, a Suffolk man in his 40s, dies after lorry crash on A14 near Ipswich on Boxing Day
- Credit: Mark Bullimore
A pedestrian died after a collision involving a lorry on the A14 near Ipswich last night.
Police have confirmed that the man, in his 40s and from the Suffolk area, died after the incident on the eastbound carriageway of the A14 between Sproughton and Copdock at around 5.50pm on Boxing Day.
His next-of-kin are being informed, police have said.
Emergency services were called to the eastbound carriageway shortly after 5.50pm between junctions 54 for Sproughton and 55 for Copdock.
Despite the best efforts of paramedics, the man died at the scene. He is the 30th fatality on Suffolk’s roads this year.
Police said the crash happened on the carriageway itself, and closed the stretch of road between the two junctions while paramedics and officers worked at the scene.
The road reopened at 12.20am. Police are still investigating the incident.
- 1 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 2 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 3 'Severe' delays on A12 outside Ipswich after crash closes road
- 4 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 5 Girl, 15, followed by man while walking dog in village near Ipswich
- 6 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 7 Warehousing units take shape at Ipswich as demand rockets
- 8 Tree works to begin after residents left 'fed up' for two years
- 9 BT applies to install eight Street Hubs in Ipswich
- 10 Tributes to Ipswich's 'Mr Buses'
An East of England Ambulance Service spokesman last night said: “EEAST received a call today at 5.56pm to reports of a serious road traffic collision involving a lorry and a male pedestrian on the A14 near Ipswich.
“A rapid response vehicle and ambulance crew were dispatched to assist the police who were first on scene.”
The spokesman added that the lorry driver had not suffered any injuries.
A diversion was put in place through Claydon, Bramford and Sproughton last night.
The crash caused severe delays for motorists heading eastbound, at a time when football fans were heading home from the Ipswich Town home game against Fulham at Portman Road.
Last year, a six-year record high of 36 deaths took place on the county’s roads. Last night’s crash was the 30th fatality on Suffolk’s roads in 2016.