Pensioner died after fall
TRIPPING over a small step in her bungalow, carrying teacups, led to the unexpected death of a pensioner.Margaret Staines, 85, of Gravel Pit Lane, Brantham died in Ipswich Hospital, ten days after the accident.
TRIPPING over a small step in her bungalow, carrying teacups, led to the unexpected death of a pensioner.
Margaret Staines, 85, of Gravel Pit Lane, Brantham died in Ipswich Hospital, ten days after the accident.
Her husband, retired school caretaker Charles called their son David, when Mrs Staines was taken to hospital by ambulance on June 12.
An inquest held at County Hall yesterday heard that Mrs Satines had been going from the lounge to make a cup of tea in the kitchen, with cups in her hands, when she tripped over a small step between the two rooms.
You may also want to watch:
Ipswich coroner Dr Peter Dean read a statement: "She fell into the kitchen, putting out both arms to break her fall."
The inquest heard Mrs Staines had suffered a stroke in October last year, but was home form hospital within two weeks, and used a stick to compensate for her weak right leg, over any distance.
- 1 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 2 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 3 Man jailed for attacking teenage girl with saucepan and meat cleaver in Ipswich
- 4 Man taken to hospital after becoming stuck in mud in Ipswich riverbank
- 5 WATCH: Ever Given docks at Felixstowe after four-month delay
- 6 Developer 'ecstatic' as multi-million pound town hotel gets green light
- 7 Man drove into ex-partner's parked car outside Gainsborough Labour and Social Club
- 8 Ipswich man charged over alleged cocaine dealing
- 9 New streetfood restaurant set to open in Ipswich Corn Exchange
- 10 Couple avoid jail for campaign of harassment against neighbour
Dr Dean said the family had not expected her to die as a result of the fall, and said: "It came as a shock to David and his father."
He said Mrs Staines died on June 22, from bronchial pneumonia, as a result of fractured arms, and recorded a verdict of accidental death.