Pensioner dies in house fire

A PENSIONER has died in a house fire thought to have been caused by an electrical fault.

Annie Davidson

A PENSIONER has died after a fire at his home in Essex in the early hours of the morning.

Fire crews were called to the home in Chelmsford just after 4.15am yesterday and found that the semi-detached property was well-ablaze when they arrived.

Officers using breathing apparatus battled against the fierce flames whilst others carried out a search for people inside the house in Pines Road.

After “extensive” fire-fighting and a search of the home, the body of a 68-year-old man was discovered in the front lounge.

The dead man has not been named but members of his family were at the house yesterday afternoon.

Most Read

Although the cause of the fire has yet to be confirmed, it is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.

Scenes of crimes officers from Essex Police were carrying out investigations at the property yesterday afternoon, although a spokeswoman said the incident was not being treated as suspicious.

It is standard procedure following a fatal fire for police to be brought in to assist with investigations.

The house, which lies at the end of a cul-de-sac, was taped off throughout the day as inquiries were carried out.

An Essex County Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “At 5.20am, once the fire was out, crews confirmed this was a fatal incident.''

And an Essex Police spokeswoman confirmed: “It is not believed to be suspicious.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter