Pensioner dies two weeks after crash
AN ELDERLY man died in hospital two weeks after being in a car crash, police revealed today.Cyril Friend suffered what were thought to be non-life threatening injuries in the accident on February 22.
POLICE today confirmed they have arrested a woman, after an elderly man died in hospital following a road accident.
89-year-old Cyril Friend died in Ipswich Hospital on Tuesday - a fortnight after a two-car smash in Ipswich.
And a police spokeswoman today said a 49-year-old Ipswich woman had been arrested in connection with the incident.
The woman has not been charged at this stage. She was released on bail to reappear before officers on April 30.
At the time of the accident, it was believed that Mr Friend, of Great Finborough, near Stowmarket, had not suffered life-threatening injuries.
He had been travelling as a passenger in a BMW 3-series which was involved in a collision with a VW Polo, near the junction of Valley Road and Henley Road, Ipswich on February 22.
- 1 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 2 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 3 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 4 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 5 Warehousing units take shape at Ipswich as demand rockets
- 6 Girl, 15, followed by man while walking dog in village near Ipswich
- 7 Tributes to Ipswich's 'Mr Buses'
- 8 'Severe' delays on A12 outside Ipswich after crash closes road
- 9 Calls to crush and seize cars to tackle ongoing anti-social behaviour
- 10 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in Ipswich
Three fire crews were called to the scene of the two-car smash after reports four people were trapped. All four casualties were released from the wreckage and were taken to Ipswich Hospital for treatment.
An 83-year-old woman, a 60-year-old woman and a 53-year-old woman travelling in the car with Mr Friend, also suffered minor injuries in the smash. Two women travelling in the VW Polo also suffered slight injuries.