Pensioner escapes house fire
AN elderly woman was recovering today after escaping from a fire at her Ipswich home.The pensioner, who is thought to be in her 80s, and two other occupants fled to the garden as the flames took hold in the living room.
AN elderly woman was recovering today after escaping from a fire at her Ipswich home.
The pensioner, who is thought to be in her 80s, and two other occupants fled to the garden as the flames took hold in the living room.
A joint police and fire probe has been launched into yesterday's blaze - the second fire at her High View Road bungalow in two weeks.
Investigators said the fire started in an “old-style upholstered” chair at around 11.50am, destroying the living room and causing further damage to the rest of the property.
You may also want to watch:
One of her neighbours, Stefan Sadler, 25, said: “I was sitting at home when I saw the smoke. I saw flames near the windows and it looked bad.”
The three occupants suffered smoke inhalation, but the plucky pensioner was resolute despite the shock of the drama.
- 1 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 2 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 5 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 6 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 7 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 8 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 9 Trucker ran eBay scam selling straps used for securing heavy loads
- 10 Four men released following death of man at Felixstowe lorry park
“I'm not going to hospital. I don't want anything,” she said, before being taken to Ipswich Hospital by paramedics for a check-up.
One of the people with her at the time was thought to be a social worker.
Martyn Thorpe, group manager for the Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, said the occupants were alerted by a smoke alarm which firefighters had fitted after being called to a blaze there two weeks ago.
He said: “The fire service had their team out and fitted a smoke alarm which activated on this occasion and gave early warning to the occupants as they could easily have been overcome by flames.”
Do you know the elderly lady? Call The Evening Star news desk on 01473 324797 or e-mail email@example.com.