Pensioner in fire rescue drama

TWO heroic Ipswich men today saved the life of one of their neighbours after they rescued him from his burning home.Edward Pole is recovering in hospital today after he was unable to escape from his Goring Road house when the fire broke out.

TWO heroic Ipswich men today saved the life of one of their neighbours after they rescued him from his burning home.

Edward Pole is recovering in hospital today after he was unable to escape from his Goring Road house when the fire broke out.

It is believed that Mr Pole could be a former Ipswich Town player who played centre forward for the team between 1947 and 1950.

Fire crews were alerted after neighbours heard the elderly man's cries at around 6.10am today.

Geoff Pyke, assistant divisional officer for Suffolk Fire and Rescue service told how two men, believed to be Guy Baker and Sid Humble rushed to the aid of the pensioner who it is thought is confined to living in the ground floor of his two storey house.

It is thought the blaze was caused by an electric heater which was set too close to items of furniture. An armchair, dining room chair and the television all caught fire.

Most Read

Mr Pyke said: “Our message would normally be to get out, get the fire brigade and stay out.

“In this case we had an elderly gentleman who was incapable of self rescue and two neighbours have acted heroically and it is thanks to them he is covering from the effects of smoke inhalation in hospital and has not been more seriously hurt.

“They were very heroic and brave and have arguably saved his life.

“There has really been a bit of community spirt here.”

The blaze was confined to the room and was put out by 6.30am.

Fire crews from Princes Street and Colchester Road in Ipswich tackled the blaze.

Mr Pryke added: With this cold spot we would encourage those living near vulnerable people to make contact with them.

“Take a quick glance at their property to make sure any electric devices or candles are safely located.”

He also added how Suffolk fire service are also involved in a campaign called Fire and Carers together where carers of vulnerable people can contact the fire service to put them on a database. This means, for example that if that person is usually confined to one room, should fire break out the crews will know where in the house to find them.

For further information on Fire and Carers Together of for a free fire safety check contact the fire service on 01473 588888.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter