Lines reopen after person hit by a train between Ipswich and Diss
Train services in Suffolk and Essex are being delayed or cancelled this evening after a person was hit by a train between Ipswich and Diss earlier today.
The main line between London and Norwich has been heavily disrupted since incident at around 5pm.
Greater Anglia said the line reopened at 7.25pm, but warned disruption will last until 10.15pm.
Services between London Liverpool Street and Norwich, and Ipswich to Cambridge/Peterborough, may still be cancelled, delayed by up to 90 minutes or revised.
A Greater Anglia spokesman said: “Following a person being hit by a train earlier today between Ipswich and Diss all lines have now reopened.
You may also want to watch:
“Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 60 minutes or revised. Disruption is expected until 10.15pm.
“This incident is affecting train services between London Liverpool Street and Norwich, Ipswich and Cambridge/Peterborough.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 4 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 5 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 6 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 7 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 10 Two people rescued after search off Harwich coast
“The line was re opened at 7.25pm in both directions after the emergency services completed their task.
“A very limited Rail Replacement Bus service will supplement trains between Ipswich and Norwich and between Cambridge and Newmarket/Bury St.Edmunds.
“Customers from Norwich and London Liverpool Street may also travel via Ely and Cambridge, but an additional journey time of about two hours can be expected, compared to the usual journey time on the main line via Ipswich.”
The British Transport Police has been contacted for comment. A Suffolk Constabulary spokesman could only confirm that Suffolk police officers have been involved in the incident.
At Ipswich railway station, the 5.43pm service, 6.43pm, 7.09pm and 8.09pm services were cancelled. The 5.09pm and 6.13pm services to London Liverpool Street were also heavily delayed.
The 5.20pm and 6.44pm services to Cambridge were cancelled. The 7.13pm service was delayed by 48 minutes.
The 5.33pm service to Colchester was also cancelled.
Services to Norwich are also being delayed. The 9.08pm service has been cancelled.