Pet birds saved after kitchen fire

FIREFIGHTERS were today called to a house in Ipswich after a blaze broke out in the kitchen.

Simon Tomlinson

FIREFIGHTERS rescued two pet birds from a house fire in Ipswich today.

The fire started in the kitchen of property in Stubbs Close, off Landseer Road, at around 12.15pm.

Two crews from the town spent around 20 minutes bringing the blaze under control.

A spokeswoman for the Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said no one was in the house at the time, but firefighters saved a cockatiel and a canary.