Peter from Essex is the first to leave The Great British Bake Off 2017
- Credit: Archant
Peter from Essex was the first budding baker to be eliminated from the Great British Bake Off as the hit series returned tonight.
For the opening show of the series, which has moved from the BBC to Channel 4, the contestants were given the challenge of creating an ‘Illusion cake’.
Peter, 52, an IT programme manager, tried his hand at a ‘Bread on a Board Cake’, however it didn’t wow the judges.
Judge Paul Hollywood described the cake as ‘a little bit simplistic’ and that Peter may have ‘left it in the oven too long’.
Essex’s second contestant James, 46, fared better with his ‘Mock-uccino Croissant Cake’ with Paul Hollywood saying although it was also a little dry ‘the chocolate and coffee is delicious’.
Sophie, 33, who grew up in Birdbrook, near Haverhill, and Little Waldingfield, near Sudbury, as a youngster, impressed with her spectacular ‘Champagne Bottle and Bucket Cake’.
New Judge Pru Leith said it looked ‘amazing’ when she first caught sight of the cake but on tasting it described it as ‘surprisingly dry’.
This was the first episode of the hit baking show since its move to Channel 4 with Sandi Toksvig and Noel Fielding replacing Mel and Sue.
- 1 Swimming pool at primary school open again after two years
- 2 Baby porpoise washes up at Suffolk beach
- 3 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 5 7 walks in Suffolk with a stunning view
- 6 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
- 7 Road closed as emergency services attend two-vehicle crash
- 8 Warning after spate of catalytic converter thefts
- 9 Revealed: All the places crimes were reported in Ipswich in April
- 10 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
Next week’s episode will have the bakers taking on biscuits.
What did you think of the return of the Great British Bake Off and its new presenters?
Let us know in the comments below.