Do you remember royal visit and World Cup fever at 2002 Suffolk Show?
- Credit: Clifford Hicks/Archant
On the day the Suffolk Show should have opened, we are looking back to the event from 2002, including a royal visit and World Cup celebrations.
In the Queen's Golden Jubilee year, the show welcomed a visit from Princess Alexandra.
The princess was delayed due to traffic gridlock, but spent more than two hours visiting the show's cattle enclosures, chatting to farmers and visiting demonstrations.
The show was extra special in 2002 because the previous year's event had been cancelled due to the foot-and-mouth outbreak.
So its return caused added excitement, just as there will be for the show's return next year.
You may also want to watch:
Unusually, the 2002 show was held on Thursday and Friday.
And there was added excitement on Friday morning when visitors were able to celebrate England's victory over Argentina in the World Cup, taking place in Japan.
To order photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 2 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich
- 3 Opening date confirmed for new indoor market in Ipswich's former Peacocks
- 4 WATCH: England fan pulled out of water at Ipswich marina
- 5 £1.4m home with swimming pool and tennis court for sale on edge of Ipswich
- 6 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 7 Kesgrave shooting trial: 'Good character cannot provide a defence'
- 8 Drug courier delivering cocaine in Ipswich is jailed
- 9 'Stressed' bride forced to cut guest list just over a week before wedding
- 10 302 complaints about dogs off lead in Christchurch Park