Riding high - did you compete in gymkhanas as a youngster?
- Credit: Archant
Did you belong to a pony club as a youngster, and compete in gymkhanas around Suffolk?
Or did you go along to watch the riders battling it out?
Our latest nostalgic picture gallery looks back to equestrian events around the county in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.
One of the most unusual photos shows riders wearing fancy dress at Creeting St Mary Show and Gymkhana in August 1979.
And there are also pictures of proud winners showing off their rosettes and trophies after a successful ride.
You may also want to watch:
The word "gymkhana" originally referred to displays of athletics and equestrian events in 19th-century India.
Events where horse and pony riders showed their skills went on to become very popular in the UK, and many were held around East Anglia over the years.
- 1 'Extra-cautionary' Covid measures reintroduced at Kesgrave High
- 2 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
- 3 'The village already can't cope' - Concerns over 114-home plan
- 4 Fears Ipswich's best-known landmarks are at risk
- 5 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 6 Town centre delays following accident
- 7 NHS confirms new Ipswich 'super-surgery' should open in 2024
- 8 Rail services disrupted for 4 hours as line blocked near Ipswich
- 9 New barber's shop opens on Ipswich shopping parade
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Teen who tried to kill friend set to be sentenced
To order copies of photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.