Days Gone By: Pictures of unique moments in Ipswich’s history
- Credit: Archant
Pictures of the Orwell Bridge being made, the destruction caused by the storm of 1987, and the Wherstead interchange under construction are included in David Kindred’s Days Gone By gallery.
Until digital photography took over around 20 years ago, film and prints were relatively expensive and most people only took photographs of special family occasions, like weddings, holidays and other special family events.
Few recorded changes to the area, and often it was only local news media that recorded dramatic events.
Russell Whipps, who has lived in Ipswich since 1967, liked to capture life in the area with his 35mm camera and would often go to Ipswich Airport and pay £25 for a half-hour flight to record projects and sometimes disasters.
Russell was born in Fressingfield in north Suffolk in 1935. His family were bombed out of their home in Campsea Ash during the Second World War, they then moved to Ufford.
You may also want to watch:
Russell worked for Potters garage at Woodbridge, Mann Egertons in Ipswich and at Felixstowe Port.
In todays Days Gone By I feature a few of the thousands of high quality photographs Russell has taken. He recorded the dates and captured unique moments and places gone forever.
Do Russell’s photographs bring memories for you? Contact David by email
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 3 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 4 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 5 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 6 Major delays on A12 after five vehicle crash
- 7 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 8 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 9 'I miss him to bits' – Ipswich fundraiser for Alton Water teen deaths
- 10 HSBC announces temporary closure of Ipswich branch