Pinewood Parish Council seeking legal advice over Belstead Meadow go-ahead
Frustrated councillors who object to plans to build 155 homes in their parish are threatening legal action against planners.
Pinewood Parish Council wrote a letter of complaint to Babergh District Council after outline permission to redevelop Belstead House on the edge of Ipswich was granted in November, despite a first vote to refuse it.
The planning officers adjourned to have a meeting with the developer, Rural Community Housing, after which an improved offer was made and £50,000 was promised for traffic calming measures.
Another vote was taken and the application was approved.
A spokesman for Pinewood Parish Council said: “This council wrote to Babergh District Council’s chief executive officer, Ms Charlie Adan, in December to dispute the procedure followed in the session to hear the Belstead Meadows application and asked specific questions regarding the procedure and conduct of those involved in hearing the application.
“We did not consider the response to be satisfactory and have informed Ms Adan that we will be seeking legal advice as to what our next action might be.”
The proposal is to develop former Suffolk County Council building Belstead House and the land around it into 155 homes aimed at older residents and a 65-bed care home.
- 1 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 2 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 3 Armed police arrest two 16-year-olds on suspicion of firearms offences
- 4 10,000 listeners tune in to new Suffolk radio station
- 5 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 6 Serious fire breaks out at home in Woodbridge
- 7 'Depraved' Felixstowe man jailed for child sex offences
- 8 'It's very frustrating': Anger as £150 stolen from charity shop in Felixstowe
- 9 'Dire for hospitality in Ipswich' - grill owner hits out at hardship grants
- 10 Weather warning in place for Suffolk as temperatures plunge below freezing
A Babergh District Council spokesman said: “Babergh is aware that members of Pinewood Parish Council are unhappy with a planning decision that has been made reference Belstead House. We have noted their concerns and their intention to seek further legal advice.”