Play cancelled due to lack of cash
BOSSES at Ipswich's New Wolsey theatre are today looking for a replacement production after a play was cancelled. Presented by the Sheffield-based Compass Theatre Company, The Dresser was due to run from March 11 to March 15.
BOSSES at Ipswich's New Wolsey theatre are today looking for a replacement production after a play was cancelled.
Presented by the Sheffield-based Compass Theatre Company, The Dresser was due to run from March 11 to March 15.
Sharon Jenkins, press and marketing officer at the theatre, said the theatre company had funding cut which led to the cancellation.
She added: “We are disappointed. This play fitted in well with our spring programme. The play had started to sell well and was proving to be a popular choice.”
Miss Jenkins said the theatre is now looking for a replacement production.
She added: “Our customers have been informed and arrangements are being made to exchange or refund tickets.”
- 1 33-year-old found safe after police search
- 2 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 3 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 4 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 6 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 7 Nursing class looking to reunite after four decades
- 8 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
- 9 Town to gather to remember flood victims 69 years on
- 10 New 'grab and go' vegan café on Ipswich Waterfront set to open in spring
A spokesman for the Compass Theatre Company said: “On Thursday, December 13 2007 the Company received a recorded delivery letter informing us that Arts Council England Yorkshire would not continue our funding beyond the end of March 2008.
“The Board of Directors of Compass Theatre Company Limited instructed us to cancel our planned Spring 2008 tour of The Dresser.
“The decision to cancel was not taken lightly but in the circumstances, with absolutely no specific offer of financial support for the completion of the tour our very experienced board had no option but to take this decision.”