Poet laureate coming to Ipswich
POET laureate Andrew Motion is to appear in Ipswich.Ipswich Building Society has invited local literacy advocates to enjoy an afternoon with Mr Motion before he speaks at their 158th annual general meeting.
POET laureate Andrew Motion is to appear in Ipswich.
Ipswich Building Society has invited local literacy advocates to enjoy an afternoon with Mr Motion before he speaks at their 158th annual general meeting.
Paul Winter, chief executive, said: “We are delighted to welcome Mr Motion to Ipswich and we really wanted to make the most of this opportunity and provide a valuable experience for the community.
“We were told about the University of the Third Age (U3A) and were keen to invite a small group of literacy enthusiasts to a more exclusive session with Andrew at our head office.”
The building society said it wanted to integrate with the community and that this was a way to support a local recreational group.
Pat Dowding, from U3A, said: “We are delighted to have the opportunity for members to attend this special session.
- 1 Police launch appeal to identify man after incident in Ipswich
- 2 Woman jailed for having sex with Ipswich schoolboy
- 3 Animal sex charges against Kesgrave vet dropped, but child images admitted
- 4 Food review, La Cueva, Ipswich: 'Delicious food... and sparkly cocktails!'
- 5 Ice cream kiosk at Suffolk beauty spot destroyed in arson
- 6 Jail for Ipswich man who stole £2,000 worth of goods from Suffolk stores
- 7 Driver blamed Amazon training for 13 speeding offences in Suffolk
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 9 Group of youths seen carrying weapons in Ipswich park
- 10 Education 'exemplary' at Outstanding Ipswich academy
“Of our 740 members some 100 are involved with our writing, literary, reading and poetry interest groups and, not surprisingly, there is competition for the places available.
“As a self-help organisation for people who are no longer in full-time employment, providing educational, creative and leisure opportunities, this invitation fulfils our desire for continued, enjoyable learning.
“We have some very creative members who write their own poetry and they are excited about meeting Mr Motion.
“We are very pleased to be the recipients of such a generous offer from the building society.”
All the building society members will have the opportunity to hear Mr Motion at their AGM on Wednesday, March 26 at Trinity Park Conference Centre from 6pm.