Police apologise for taking cameras

A top security officer responsible for safety of the Royal Family today admitted a mistake was made last week when police confiscated cameras from members of the public.

A top security officer responsible for safety of the Royal Family today admitted a mistake was made last week when police confiscated cameras from members of the public.

Head of Royal protection in Norfolk, Chief Inspector Stuart Offord, admitted an "error" had been made when visitors had their cameras taken away by officers.

People had gathered to watch the royals make their way to and from the St Mary Magdalene church on the Queen's estate at Sandringham, Norfolk, last Sunday when their effects were looked after by police at the gate.

They were also body searched with a scanner and officers kept a close eye on crowds lining a path.

Sandringham Estate signs warn visitors that picture-taking is not allowed.

However, CI Offord said that it was the first time cameras had been seized at the estate.

Most Read

"It has not been my policy while I have been here,' he said.

"It was an error. I was not here when the decision was made, nor was my deputy, the officer concerned decided the provision was a way to look at the new measures on photography.

"As soon as I heard about it, it was addressed.'