Police brand OAP muggers 'cowards'
TWO muggers who robbed an elderly man in an Ipswich street have today been labelled “cowards” by police.The duo attacked an 81-year-old man as he walked through Ipswich town centre and knocked him to the ground before stealing money from his pockets.
TWO muggers who robbed an elderly man in an Ipswich street have today been labelled “cowards” by police.
The duo attacked an 81-year-old man as he walked through Ipswich town centre and knocked him to the ground before stealing money from his pockets.
The pensioner was near Apsen jewellers in St Stephens Church Lane at 4.45pm on Wednesday when the robbery happened.
Detective Sergeant Eammon Bridger from Ipswich CID said: “This was an extremely cowardly crime for these offenders as they have obviously targeted this gentleman as he is elderly and was alone.
You may also want to watch:
“Fortunately he was not injured but was left shocked and shaken by his ordeal.
“We take these incidents very seriously and will do our utmost to locate these offenders and bring them to justice.”
- 1 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 2 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 3 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 4 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 5 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 6 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 7 Driver presses ahead with police complaint despite losing speeding trial
- 8 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 9 Felixstowe woman accused of setting fire to caravan and drink driving
- 10 Ipswich train services cancelled due to signalling system fault
The attack happened at a time when the town centre would have been busy. DS Bridger urged anyone with information about the incident to contact police.
One of the robbers was a man and one was a woman. The male robber is described as white, aged in his 20s, 5ft 6in, of medium build, with untidy black hair, a slim face and bushy eyebrows.
He was wearing dark clothing and possibly a jumper.
The female is described as black, aged in her mid 20s, 5ft 6in, of slim build, with dark shoulder-length straight hair and was wearing a white/biscuit coloured jacket with a skirt or dress underneath.
Anyone with information should call Pc Becky Last at Ipswich CID on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.