Police brand OAP muggers 'cowards'
TWO muggers who robbed an elderly man in an Ipswich street have today been labelled “cowards” by police.The duo attacked an 81-year-old man as he walked through Ipswich town centre and knocked him to the ground before stealing money from his pockets.
TWO muggers who robbed an elderly man in an Ipswich street have today been labelled “cowards” by police.
The duo attacked an 81-year-old man as he walked through Ipswich town centre and knocked him to the ground before stealing money from his pockets.
The pensioner was near Apsen jewellers in St Stephens Church Lane at 4.45pm on Wednesday when the robbery happened.
Detective Sergeant Eammon Bridger from Ipswich CID said: “This was an extremely cowardly crime for these offenders as they have obviously targeted this gentleman as he is elderly and was alone.
“Fortunately he was not injured but was left shocked and shaken by his ordeal.
“We take these incidents very seriously and will do our utmost to locate these offenders and bring them to justice.”
- 1 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 2 Tributes paid to Ipswich man who could 'make magic happen'
- 3 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 4 Investigations ongoing into 'inter-gang disputes' in town
- 5 Two teenagers charged after man injured in machete attack
- 6 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 7 Search for missing man who planned 70-mile walk home still ongoing
- 8 Strong interest expected as 'prime' town centre shop unit hits market with price tag of more than £1m
- 9 Meeting to discuss traffic calming measures after community concerns
- 10 85 school children under 4 suspended in Suffolk
The attack happened at a time when the town centre would have been busy. DS Bridger urged anyone with information about the incident to contact police.
One of the robbers was a man and one was a woman. The male robber is described as white, aged in his 20s, 5ft 6in, of medium build, with untidy black hair, a slim face and bushy eyebrows.
He was wearing dark clothing and possibly a jumper.
The female is described as black, aged in her mid 20s, 5ft 6in, of slim build, with dark shoulder-length straight hair and was wearing a white/biscuit coloured jacket with a skirt or dress underneath.
Anyone with information should call Pc Becky Last at Ipswich CID on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.