Police chase motorbiker through Ipswich
MOTORISTS watched in horror as a motorcyclist raced the wrong way down a busy Ipswich road chased by police.The drama unfolded in the Bramford Road area of the town, after traffic officers tried to pull over the young biker.
By Georgina James
MOTORISTS watched in horror as a motorcyclist raced the wrong way down a busy Ipswich road chased by police.
The drama unfolded in the Bramford Road area of the town, after traffic officers tried to pull over the young biker. He refused to stop and roared off down Yarmouth Road and into London Road, with the police in pursuit.
An eyewitness described the events as frightening.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "The bike was weaving in and out of the traffic, went over a grass verge and then headed straight for the on-coming traffic. I can't believe he managed to stay on the bike. It was rather scary to watch."
Another eye witness who saw the chase from the bus he was on when it stopped at the bottom of London Road said: "The motorbike shot past McDonald's, over the grass verge and through the gap in the railings. It then swooped through the traffic lights heading towards Handford Road against the flow of traffic."
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 4 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 5 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
- 7 Man to face trial over claims he sexually assaulted toddler in the street
- 8 Ipswich man charged with attempted murder
- 9 Kesgrave Kitchen praised by local MP after 'fantastic' transformation
- 10 Stroke survivor cut off from family in lockdown returns home
A police car was in pursuit but carried the chase on the correct side of the road while the biker, who appeared to be a young man, continued on the wrong side of the road.
A police spokeswoman said: "Traffic officers did follow a motorcycle which failed to stop. The bike was a Honda and the offender wore a navy crash helmet and navy jacket."
She appealed for anybody with information relating to this incident at 2pm on Monday, to contact Pc Graham Amey at Suffolk Police on 01473 613500.