Police chase motorbiker through Ipswich
MOTORISTS watched in horror as a motorcyclist raced the wrong way down a busy Ipswich road chased by police.The drama unfolded in the Bramford Road area of the town, after traffic officers tried to pull over the young biker.
By Georgina James
MOTORISTS watched in horror as a motorcyclist raced the wrong way down a busy Ipswich road chased by police.
The drama unfolded in the Bramford Road area of the town, after traffic officers tried to pull over the young biker. He refused to stop and roared off down Yarmouth Road and into London Road, with the police in pursuit.
An eyewitness described the events as frightening.
He said: "The bike was weaving in and out of the traffic, went over a grass verge and then headed straight for the on-coming traffic. I can't believe he managed to stay on the bike. It was rather scary to watch."
Another eye witness who saw the chase from the bus he was on when it stopped at the bottom of London Road said: "The motorbike shot past McDonald's, over the grass verge and through the gap in the railings. It then swooped through the traffic lights heading towards Handford Road against the flow of traffic."
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 3 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 4 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 5 Pensioner who was racially abusive has jail sentence cut
- 6 Ipswich man charged with string of motoring offences
- 7 Online shoppers head to Ipswich for big brands like Primark
- 8 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?
- 9 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
A police car was in pursuit but carried the chase on the correct side of the road while the biker, who appeared to be a young man, continued on the wrong side of the road.
A police spokeswoman said: "Traffic officers did follow a motorcycle which failed to stop. The bike was a Honda and the offender wore a navy crash helmet and navy jacket."
She appealed for anybody with information relating to this incident at 2pm on Monday, to contact Pc Graham Amey at Suffolk Police on 01473 613500.