Police clampdown on squatters
POLICE are today continuing their clampdown on squatters after nine people were arrested at a house in Stowupland.Four police cars and a police van attended the scene in Saxham Street at about 1pm on Monday where nine people were arrested on suspicion of criminal damage, taking electricity without permission, burglary and a number of drug charges.
POLICE are today continuing their clampdown on squatters after nine people were arrested at a house in Stowupland.
Four police cars and a police van attended the scene in Saxham Street at about 1pm on Monday where nine people were arrested on suspicion of criminal damage, taking electricity without permission, burglary and a number of drug charges.
All nine have been released on police bail. Two women and three men must return to Ipswich Police station on December 14, and one woman and three men must return to Bury St Edmunds Police station on December 13.
A 24-year-old man from Eye, arrested on suspicion of possessing cocaine and cannabis with intent to supply, and production of cannabis, has also been released on police bail and is due to return to Bury St Edmunds on December 17.
You may also want to watch:
Acting chief inspector Les King said: “A complaint was received from the owner of the property. A number of people were found in the premises. Damage and destruction offences appeared to have been committed and police made arrests.
“This was the second operation of this kind in two consecutive weeks to target the continual problem of squatters in mid-Suffolk area.”
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 3 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 4 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 5 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 6 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 7 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 8 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 9 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 10 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
Those arrested and bailed to return to Ipswich Police station included a 25-year-old woman Norfolk, a 21-year-old man from Bury St Edmunds, a 27-year-old man from Norfolk, an 18-year-old woman from Stowmarket, and an 18-year-old man from Stowmarket.
Those bailed to return to Bury St Edmunds police station included a 19-year-old woman from Onehouse, a 28-year-old man from Stowupland, an 18-year-old man from Stowmarket and a 19-year-old man from Ipswich.
Has your property ever been taken over by squatters? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.