Police dog nabs drink-drive suspect on outskirts of Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
A suspected drink-driver from north Essex is on bail today after a police dog found him in bushes near a hotel on the outskirts of Ipswich.
The man was arrested after an extensive search by officers after the driver of a black Ford Focus allegedly ran off after his car was pulled over.
Suffolk Constabulary said the Ford Focus was seen on the A14 driving over the Orwell Bridge on the Copdock-bound carriageway on Sunday night.
Police spotted the vehicle shortly before 8.20pm and stopped it for a routine check.
The Focus pulled up in Augusta Close, near The Havens, on Ransomes Industrial Estate.
However, it is alleged the motorist made an attempt to drive away. He is then said to have tussled with a police officer before getting out of the passenger side of the car.
The driver was reported to have run towards the A14 slip road before disappearing from sight.
- 1 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 2 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 3 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 4 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 5 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 6 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 7 Man, 25, threatened to kill ex-partner with wrench, court hears
- 8 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 9 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 10 Man dragged former partner from car and kicked her in assault
The police helicopter was called out along with a dog unit in an attempt to find the motorist.
After around 30 minutes of searching for the suspect, the helicopter crew were unable to find him and ended their search at 9pm.
However, a man was later found and arrested by officers near the Holiday Inn beside the A14 shortly before 9.35pm.
He was taken to Martlesham police investigation centre for questioning.
Laura Caulton, a spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary, said: “On October 16 at 8.17pm, a 29-year-old man from Clacton-on-Sea was stopped by police while driving along the A14 and arrested on suspicion of driving with excess alcohol, and subsequently absconded from lawful custody.
“The police helicopter was deployed to assist in the search and the detainee was tracked by a police dog and located in undergrowth, close to the Holiday Inn.
“He was arrested on suspicion of driving with excess alcohol and escaping lawful custody.
“The man was taken into custody and released on police bail until December 5.”