Police hope to expand into empty court
IPSWICH police are looking to expand into the town's redundant crown court building, The Evening Star can reveal today.The force is currently in discussion with Her Majesty's courts service estates department and is looking to lease the Civic Drive building for the next three years.
IPSWICH police are looking to expand into the town's redundant crown court building, The Evening Star can reveal today.
The force is currently in discussion with Her Majesty's courts service estates department and is looking to lease the Civic Drive building for the next three years.
Alastair McWhirter, Suffolk's Chief Constable, said: “Suffolk Constabulary constantly reviews its estate to ensure its premises are in the correct location to provide people with the best possible policing service.
“In the case of Ipswich police station, the Constabulary has looked at a number of options for expansion.
“One of the options, which is being explored is to expand our operations into the old crown court, which is adjacent to the police station and we are currently in negotiations with the Court Services to lease the building.”
The former court building has been empty since it was closed in May 2004 but is connected to Ipswich police station via cells underneath the buildings.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 4 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 5 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 6 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 7 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food spots around Ipswich
- 8 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
- 9 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 10 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
From April 1 all of Suffolk's new constables will be trained in the county and it is thought the crown court building could be their home.
The planned expansion of the current police station is further evidence that Ipswich police are unlikely to move their base to the Ipswich Village area.
Previous plans to relocate to Constantine Road were scrapped due to a potential flood risk and the future of the Constabulary remains uncertain as forces nationwide face possible mergers.
Mark Veale, the court services' deputy regional estates manager for the south east of England, said: “We are still in discussion with police and are looking to lease it to them for a fairly short period, I think about three years.
“It's only the police who have expressed an interest at the moment.
“We have been talking to them over the last couple of months and it will take a while but it is definitely an option.
“I think the police would like to get in there as soon as they can.”
N Weblink: www.suffolk.police.uk.
N Do you think the expansion is a good idea? Write to: Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or send us an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.