Police hunt after man's rape claim
DETECTIVES are investigating claims that a 30-year-old man was attacked and raped today as he walked along Jubilee Walk in Haverhill.The victim had gone to get cash from a cash point machine at around 12.
By Georgina James
DETECTIVES are investigating claims that a 30-year-old man was attacked and raped today as he walked along Jubilee Walk in Haverhill.
The victim had gone to get cash from a cash point machine at around 12.10am and was walking back along Jubilee Walk and the Brook Service Road, heading towards the bus station, when he was grabbed from behind by at least two men and raped.
The victim shouted and managed to push his attackers off and immediately made his way to the police station.
You may also want to watch:
Officers are expected to interview the victim, who is seriously traumatised by the ordeal, today.
At this stage in the investigation police are unable to say whether the victim was raped more than once.
- 1 Ipswich bar forced to close early after staff attacked
- 2 New restaurant set to open at former Little Waitrose store this year
- 3 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 4 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 5 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 6 Man jailed for attacking teenage girl with saucepan and meat cleaver in Ipswich
- 7 Celebrations as Starbucks opens its new Ipswich drive-thru
- 8 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 9 Woman injured after being struck by van near Morrisons in Ipswich
- 10 Man released on bail after central Ipswich stabbing
Police have sealed off the area where the rape took place and scenes of crime officers are carrying out searches of the area.
The victim told police that he saw three men as he made his way to the cash machine. All three were white and were possibly wearing black caps, one was wearing a tartan scarf.
Investigating officer, Detective Inspector Rick Munns, is appealing to these men or to anyone else who was in this part of the town shortly after midnight last night, to contact him as a matter of urgency.
"We urgently need to eliminate these men from our inquiries. I think it likely that there were a number of people out and about in this area and I would like anyone who was there to contact me at Haverhill CID on 01284 774475 as they may have information that could prove valuable to this inquiry."