Police hunt hit and run driver
POLICE are hunting a hit-and-run driver who fled the scene of a town centre accident which left a pensioner with potentially serious head injuries.The 70-year-old male victim, believed to have been out his wife at the time, was initially thought to have suffered life-threatening injuries and was taken to West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds following the collision.
POLICE are hunting a hit-and-run driver who fled the scene of a town centre accident which left a pensioner with potentially serious head injuries.
The 70-year-old male victim, believed to have been out his wife at the time, was initially thought to have suffered life-threatening injuries and was taken to West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds following the collision.
Investigating officers said his condition was improving and called on the driver, who got out of his car before leaving the scene, to come forward after the crash in Sudbury yesterday morning.
A Suffolk police spokesman said they were scanning CCTV footage and had interviewed people at the scene - including the victim's wife, who was said to be “shocked”.
You may also want to watch:
Yesterday's crash, which happened at about 10.15am at the junction of Gregory Street and Stour Street, brought town centre traffic to a standstill after police closed off Sudbury's one-way system. It was reopened shortly after midday.
The police spokesman said: “The driver of the car initially stopped and got out of the vehicle, before getting back in and leaving the scene. We would like to hear from anyone who witnessed this collision or the driver himself.”
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 5 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 6 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 7 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 8 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 9 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 10 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
The male motorist, said to be driving a silver hatchback, possibly a Seat Ibiza, has been described as a white middle-aged male.
Anybody with information should contact Sudbury police on 01473 613500.