Police promise more swift justice
SUFFOLK police today hailed the sentences given to three Felixstowe drug dealers – and warned others they face the same punishment if caught.Clive Hutson, Paul Cunnington and Heidi Baxter are today beginning long stretches behind bars after being fast-tracked through the judicial system.
SUFFOLK police today hailed the sentences given to three Felixstowe drug dealers – and warned others they face the same punishment if caught.
Clive Hutson, Paul Cunnington and Heidi Baxter are today beginning long stretches behind bars after being fast-tracked through the judicial system.
Little more than a week separated their arrest and conviction, which has seen a major cog in the seaside town's drug-peddling network removed.
Acting detective inspector Kevin Hayward, who worked on the case, said: "There was an ongoing operation to get these people behind bars, which has obviously concluded in success.
You may also want to watch:
"I honestly believe there's a strong message coming out of this to those who are dealing in drugs or those who are considering it.
"That is Suffolk police, under operation crackdown, will target you and jail is potential end result."
- 1 Woman threatened to expose lorry driver's sexual relationship
- 2 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 3 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 4 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
- 5 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 6 What happened to Luke Durbin? Mum's renewed appeal 15 years after teenager vanished in Ipswich
- 7 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 8 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 9 Developers offer first view of 75 new homes near Ipswich
- 10 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
Hutson, 44, of St Mary's Close, Trimley St Mary, Cunnington, 32, and Baxter, 39, both of The Walk, Felixstowe, had all been selling drugs in the town.
Hutson was arrested with heroin worth between £2,800 and £4,200, while Cunnington had £1,600 in cash on him when he was picked up.
Hutson was sentenced to five years in jail, Cunnington to 27 months and Baxter to 21 months.
The convictions followed a police surveillance operation to gather evidence against the dealers.
Di Hayward added: "From a policing point of view, we're very pleased with the speedy and swift justice and the sentences given out.
"The three were believed by us to be heavily involved in the drugs scene within Felixstowe area. The town will be better served now these people are in jail."
The quick sentencing was made possible by the early guilty pleas entered by all three defendants.
To report an incident of drug dealing call Suffolk police on 01473 613500 or call Operation Crackdown on 0800 253253.
What do you think of speedy justice? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com