Police quiz motorists at scene of sex attack
IPSWICH: Detectives are today continuing to investigate an alleged rape after returning to the scene near an industrial estate to carry out checks with passing motorists.
A team of seven officers from Suffolk police marshalled Holywells Road on Friday . . . a week after the reported attack on a 17-year-old girl.
She had been out with friends on Friday, July 9, and was walking alone along Landseer Road, near Johnson’s Paint, at about 7pm when a dark blue car pulled alongside her.
The male driver forced the teenager into the car before driving a short distance to a car park near Ipswich Tyre and Exhaust on the corner of Landseer Road and Cliff Lane, where she was taken to woodland next to Holywells Road and raped.
A total of 30 officers from the Norfolk and Suffolk major investigation team have been working to find the man responsible and last Monday released a photo-fit image of the suspect described by the victim.
A week after the attack, detective inspector Trevor Prior, said: “By speaking to members of the public in their vehicles and on foot, we can check with people who use the route regularly and may have seen the victim or the suspect.” Detectives believe the suspect has a knowledge of the area and may be local to Ipswich.
They have so far received 10 calls to the incident room, generating a number of lines of inquiry, and house to house visits have also been conducted in Cliff Lane and Oulton Road, where the teenager flagged down a member of the public who raised the alarm.
- 1 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 2 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 3 Developer criticised for 'failing to meet obligations'
- 4 Friends raise money for garden for terminally ill Suffolk mum
- 5 Mother who befriended son's killer discusses his new book
- 6 Jail for man who drove stolen car at police officers
- 7 WATCH: Adorable family of foxes enjoy play time at an Ipswich doorstep
- 8 Fencing around historic Trimley station causes scare for local community
- 9 Company fined £12,000 for repeatedly failing to clear Ipswich flat's waste
- 10 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
Meanwhile, commercial and private CCTV is being studied for signs of the suspect, who is described as white, about 47 years old, of medium build, with a shaved head and clean-shaven. All that is known about his clothing is that he was wearing jeans.
DI Prior added: “The victim has been very co-operative and has assisted us in our investigation. She was understandably very distressed but is getting the appropriate care.
“I would continue to urge anyone who has any information about this incident to come forward.”
Anyone who was in the area at about the time or who has any information is asked to telephone the Norfolk and Suffolk joint major investigation team on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.