Police say bomb threat at Gusford Primary School in Ipswich is being treated as a hoax
- Credit: Lucy Taylor
Children who were evacuated from their primary school this morning due to a hoax bomb threat have been safely collected by parents.
Pupils from Gusford Primary School in Ipswich were moved to the school field at nearby Sprites Primary Academy at around 10.30am after a man called staff at Gusford and claimed there was a bomb on the premises.
At 12.55pm, a spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary said: “Searches were carried out and nothing has been found.
“The incident is being treated as a bomb hoax and is being investigated by police.”
An email was sent to parents of pupils at Gusford Primary School at around noon asking them to collect their children from Sprites Primary Academy.
You may also want to watch:
The email read: “The pupils will be arranged in classes on the field and you will need to stand by your child’s class and the teacher will sign your child out to you. Please remain calm so as not to upset any other pupils.”
Parents have praised the school staff for their “quick” and “efficient” response to the bomb scare.
- 1 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 2 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 3 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 4 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 5 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 6 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 7 Driver presses ahead with police complaint despite losing speeding trial
- 8 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 9 Ipswich train services cancelled due to signalling system fault
- 10 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
Nathan Collins, whose five-year-old son attends the school, said: “It was really well organised, well done to all the teachers and staff at Gusford, they did a great job making sure the children were safe and evacuating quickly and efficiently.”
Gusford Primary School is one of at least 18 schools across the UK that has been forced to evacuate today after bomb threats, according to reports.