Police want nightclub closed for good
DETECTIVES are today looking to permanently close an Ipswich nightclub following the murder of a clubber who was shot dead.It is hoped a permanent closure would send a message that violent crime will not be tolerated in the town's nightspots.
DETECTIVES are today looking to permanently close an Ipswich nightclub following the murder of a clubber who was shot dead.
It is hoped a permanent closure would send a message that violent crime will not be tolerated in the town's nightspots.
Zest nightclub has remained shut following the fatal shooting of Jimoh Plunkett of South London in the early hours of Saturday, December 9 and a temporary closure order will remain in place until January 10.
But officers are hoping the order will be made permanent and the Princes Street club will be shut for good.
Detective superintendent David Cole, leading the murder hunt, said: “My personal view is that the police will be objecting to the club reopening.
“A man was shot dead and three others were wounded and a firearm was used in a nightclub.
- 1 Take a look inside 15th Century farmhouse near Ipswich up for sale
- 2 Missing 13-year-old boy from Hadleigh found safe
- 3 BrewDog, The Botanist and other reasons to be positive about Ipswich town centre
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: The county's criminals locked up in the last week
- 5 Tattingstone 'suitcase murder': 'Never too late' say police on 55th anniversary
- 6 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 7 Ipswich MP Tom Hunt speaks of 'disgust' at Downing Street parties
- 8 Two Magpies Bakery set to open in Woodbridge after rapid revamp of store
- 9 Empty Ipswich office block could become new flats
- 10 5 roadworks in Suffolk for motorists to avoid this week
“This is the first incident of its kind in Ipswich and it is outrageous.
“We need to send a message of reassurance to the community that this won't be tolerated in any shape or form.”
Police are yet to find the weapon that was used to kill 24-year-old Mr Plunkett.
A gun was recovered in the Ipswich Village car park near to the club but forensic tests have revealed it was not the gun used in the murder.
Officers are looking at the possibility that drugs may have been involved in the incident but as yet the motive for the shootings is unclear.
Detectives are working closely with the Metropolitan police's Operation Trident - an operation set up in 1998 to try to end shootings and murders among the young, black Londoners.
Forensic examinations are continuing inside the club and officers are also scouring CCTV.
They already have the details of more than 200 revellers who were in the club on the night but believe as many as 800 were in attendance and are keen to speak to them.
Currently detectives have not identified any major suspects and det supt Cole said they need the public's support to bring the killer to justice.
The three other people injured in the incident, all from London and Essex, were discharged from hospital 48 hours after the shootings and stabbings and are recovering.
Anyone with information should call the incident room at Suffolk police 01473 782000, contact police by text on 07624 800174 or e-mail email@example.com, or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
Did you witness the shooting? Call The Evening Star newsdesk on 01473 324788 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org