Police warn elderly after burglaries
POLICE are today warning homeowners to be on their guard after two elderly men fell victim to distraction burglars.An 81-year-old answered the door at his home in Goldcrest Road, Ipswich between 11am and 11.
POLICE are today warning homeowners to be on their guard after two elderly men fell victim to distraction burglars.
An 81-year-old answered the door at his home in Goldcrest Road, Ipswich between 11am and 11.15am on Monday .
The caller said he was checking water supplies following a burst pipe.
When the victim was with the caller in the kitchen and upstairs bathroom it is believed another male entered the house and stole a wallet containing cash.
The man who knocked at the door was white, aged in his mid forties, around 5ft 9in to 5ft 10 in, of average build and clean-shaven.
He was wearing a pale coloured smart shirt, dark coloured smart trousers and black smart shoes.
- 1 Take a look inside 15th Century farmhouse near Ipswich up for sale
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The county's criminals locked up in the last week
- 3 Missing 13-year-old boy from Hadleigh found safe
- 4 BrewDog, The Botanist and other reasons to be positive about Ipswich town centre
- 5 Empty Ipswich office block could become new flats
- 6 Tattingstone 'suitcase murder': 'Never too late' say police on 55th anniversary
- 7 Take a look inside new Ipswich restaurant that makes pizza the 'proper way'
- 8 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 9 Is Ipswich really England's oldest town? Experts give their view
- 10 House of Tweed leaves Ipswich after Christmas season
After leaving the house he headed on foot in the direction of Swallow Road.
Anyone with any information about this incident should contact Pc Ben Hudson at Ipswich CID on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
In a separate incident which is being linked by police, a 91-year-old answered his door at Macaulay Road, Ipswich, to a man also claiming to need to work on water supplies, between 11am and 12pm on the same day.
Again, after the man left it was found that another person had entered the house and stole a quantity of cash while the victim was occupied with the caller.
This caller is described as white, 20 to 40 years old, 5ft 6in, thick set and clean shaven, wearing a blue baseball cap.
Anyone with any information about this incident should contact Pc Owen Saxon at Ipswich CID on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
Have you been the victim of a distraction burglary? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org