Police warning ahead of Norwich City and Ipswich Town clash at Carrow Road on Sunday
- Credit: Archant
Any sign of trouble between Ipswich and Norwich fans during the East Anglian derby this weekend will be quickly tackled, police have warned.
Around 2,000 Town fans are expected to make the trip to Carrow Road for the match, which kicks off at midday on Sunday.
Suffolk and Norfolk police officers will form a task force on the day designed to keep everyone safe and direct fans from the train station and coach park to the stadium.
Norfolk Police Chief Superintendent Dave Marshall, who will be overseeing the policing operation, said: “This is a great local derby event with healthy rivalry between two family friendly clubs and supporters.
“The police operation has been developed to ensure everyone has a great day out and the vast majority of fans will enjoy the event in the right spirit.
“Our focus will be on those whose behaviour spoils everyone else’s enjoyment and to manage areas where we have seen issues before at other matches as fans travel to and from the stadium.”
Blues fans will be directed by police to the stadium via Lower Clarence Road, Clarence Road and Carrow Road, in the same way as when the teams last met at Carrow Road in May 2015 for the second leg of the Championship play-offs semi-final. Norwich won 3-1 on the day, and 4-2 on aggregate.
Prior to the match it is possible, depending on crowd numbers, that short closures will be put in place on these roads, allowing fans to walk safely to the stadium. Normal road closures will also be in place around Carrow Road after the match.
Norfolk Police have been working closely with colleagues in Suffolk, British Transport Police and the football clubs to ensure the smooth running of the operation on the day.
- 1 Boy, 14, injured in altercation near Ipswich primary school
- 2 School submits plan to turn site into 7 homes
- 3 Evicted Suffolk family to move into £6,000 double-decker bus bought on eBay
- 4 Staff shortages hit 98% of firms, including Suffolk hotels and restaurants
- 5 Missing Ipswich man found safe
- 6 Emergency services attending incident in Suffolk town
- 7 Police hunting two men with Suffolk links after cannabis farm discovered
- 8 Severe delays on A14 outside Ipswich after vehicle sheds turf on road
- 9 Ipswich entrepreneur to appear on ITV show
- 10 Body of woman found in river in Hadleigh
For up-to-date information and road closure advice on match day, follow @NorfolkPolice.