Pool overhaul a step nearer
A HUGE overhaul of a Woodbridge swimming pool is one step further ahead now that the architects have been appointed.Ipswich based firm WPP Architects has been given the job of redeveloping Deben Pool, which is being given a £500,000 face lift.
By Jessica Nicholls
A HUGE overhaul of a Woodbridge swimming pool is one step further ahead now that the architects have been appointed.
Ipswich based firm WPP Architects has been given the job of redeveloping Deben Pool, which is being given a £500,000 face lift.
The pool, in Station Road, Woodbridge has been a popular feature of the town for the last 30 years and is used regularly by club and schools as well as casual swimmers.
It started life in 1973 as an outdoor pool and had a roof fitted in 1984, but now the whole building is in for a revamp.
After listening to users of the pool, it was decided that better changing rooms were needed along with a larger and refurbished health and fitness centre.
- 1 School submits plan to turn site into 7 homes
- 2 Boy, 14, injured in altercation near Ipswich primary school
- 3 Severe delays on A14 outside Ipswich after vehicle sheds turf on road
- 4 Missing Ipswich man found safe
- 5 Staff shortages hit 98% of firms, including Suffolk hotels and restaurants
- 6 Evicted Suffolk family to move into £6,000 double-decker bus bought on eBay
- 7 Police hunting two men with Suffolk links after cannabis farm discovered
- 8 Emergency services attending incident in Suffolk town
- 9 Aging gas main replacement works begin around Ipswich
- 10 Delicious food and drink as artisan market returns to Ipswich Cornhill
Access areas for people with disabilities are also an essential part of the upgrade.
While the works are going ahead there will be some disruption to the pool but it will be kept open as much as possible with temporary changing rooms.
The work, which is due to start this September, is part of a major five-year plan by Suffolk Coastal to improve leisure services across the district.
Leisure services in the county have recently been given the top Best Value rating of 'excellent' because of the projects.
Last week saw the official opening of new and improved creche facilities at Felixstowe and Leiston leisure centres.
This is the first time that WPP Architects has taken on the challenge of improvements to a swimming pool in its ten-year history, but they are looking forward to it.
They have a wealth of experience ranging from changing small rooms around to larger jobs such as Deben Swimming Pool.
Practise associate, Ian Tate said: "The bulk of our work has usually been community projects such as village halls and sports centres.
"That kind of work has taken us all around East Anglia to various different parishes.
"We have also done work on education buildings for Suffolk County Council."