Port breaks another record
FELIXSTOWE port is celebrating today after workers handled a record number of containers on a single ship.The port achieved its impressive 5,586 container moves on the China Shipping Container Lines vessel CSCL America - which can carry 8,468 standard-sized boxes - in what is thought to be the largest ever exchange of containers at a UK port.
FELIXSTOWE port is celebrating today after workers handled a record number of containers on a single ship.
The port achieved its impressive 5,586 container moves on the China Shipping Container Lines vessel CSCL America - which can carry 8,468 standard-sized boxes - in what is thought to be the largest ever exchange of containers at a UK port.
Chris Lewis, chief executive officer of Hutchison Ports (UK) Limited, which owns the Port of Felixstowe, said: “This record turnaround is a clear indication of the strong co-operation that exists between the Port of Felixstowe and China Shipping.
“We are constantly looking at ways to improve the level of service that we offer to our customers, and we are extremely pleased that we have been able to meet China Shipping's requirements on this momentous occasion.”
You may also want to watch:
Robert Hughes, general manager of China Shipping UK, was delighted the milestone had been achieved on one of the company's vessels.
China Shipping Container Lines' commitment to the AEX1 service has been further strengthened by its decision to upgrade its fleet with newer ships of larger capacity.
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 5 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 6 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 7 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 8 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 9 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 10 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
Yesterday the port welcomed the first call of the 337-metre long Xin Hong Kong, the first of four ships able to carry 9,600 standard-sized boxes being introduced on this service.
The CSCL Zeebrugge will follow in April, with the last two ships due to arrive in late spring and early summer 2007. The service makes Felixstowe its first port of call in Northern Europe inward from Ningbo, Shanghai, Yantian, Hong Kong and Chiwan.