Post master scared of cancer death
A RETIRED post master took his own life after discovering he had developed cancer and did not have long to live.Raymond Crosby, 85, was diagnosed with lung cancer last year after suffering from prostate cancer around five years before.
A RETIRED post master took his own life after discovering he had developed cancer and did not have long to live.
Raymond Crosby, 85, was diagnosed with lung cancer last year after suffering from prostate cancer around five years before.
But Mr Crosby, of Chantry Home Farm, Lavenham Road, Ipswich, told his brother, Bernard, that he did not want to end his life like other cancer patients in Ipswich Hospital.
During the inquest into his death at Suffolk County Council's Endeavour House building this week the greater Suffolk coroner Dr Peter Dean said: “In October 2006 he was diagnosed with lung cancer.
“He used to smoke but had given up. He was told that he did not have long to live and he became depressed.”
Then on November 13 Mr Crosby, who has one daughter, took an overdose of the pain-relieving drug propoxyphene.
- 1 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 2 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 3 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 4 Dog rescued from flat fire
- 5 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 6 Wallet and cash stolen as two more cars have windows smashed in in Ipswich
- 7 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 8 Women suffers leg injuries after crash on village road outside Ipswich
- 9 Delays on Orwell Bridge after fire crews called to 'smoke coming from vehicle'
- 10 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
In a statement read to the inquest Mr Crosby's neighbour, Harold Smart, said: “I borrowed one of my neighbours' car and drove past Mr Crosby's address.
“I noticed that he was sitting in the driving seat.
“(When I came back) I went up to the vehicle and noticed that the driver's door was slightly open.
“I gently shook Ray and called his name but got no response.”
Mr Smart also saw a plastic pipe in the car and the police were then called.
The officer who attended the scene went to Mr Crosby's kitchen and noticed various notes addressed to family members and well as a tablet bottle.
Dr Dean said Mr Crosby's death had been caused by an overdose of propoxyphene.
He added: “Mr Crosby both understood and intended the consequences of his actions.”
A verdict of suicide was recorded.
n Would you like to pay a tribute to Raymond Crosby? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com.