Post offices targeted by thieves
POST offices across Suffolk have been targeted by thieves today with an armed robbery, ram raid and burglary within the space of a few hours.The first incident happened at Wickhambrook Post Office about 1am when a grey pick-up truck was reversed into a brick wall in an attempt to steal the safe.
POST offices across Suffolk have been targeted by thieves today with an armed robbery, ram raid and burglary within the space of a few hours.
The first incident happened at Wickhambrook Post Office about 1am when a grey pick-up truck was reversed into a brick wall in an attempt to steal the safe.
The impact created a hole in the wall and at least one of the offenders entered the building through the hole.
However, the raiders are thought to have been disturbed and made off at speed in another vehicle without stealing anything.
It is thought there were three to five offenders who drove off in the direction of Stradishall crossroads.
The second incident happened at Assington Farm Shop and Post Office just after 2.30am.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich
- 3 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 4 Open day for Ipswich pub on sale for £300,000
- 5 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 6 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 7 Man with learning difficulties will not go to prison for sex offence
- 8 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 9 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 10 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
Three offenders arrived in a dark saloon vehicle, similar to a Ford Escort, and then broke into the shop.
A quantity of cigarettes was then loaded into the vehicle before it was driven away.
The third incident happened at East Bergholt Post Office when a balaclava-clad trio threatened staff with a sawn-off shotgun, crow bar and pick-axe handle before herding them into the back of the shop and ordering the owner to hand over money.
Anyone with information about the incidents should call Suffolk police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.