Postie retires after 37 years
A DEDICATED postie who has spent almost four decades standing and delivering is today taking a well-earned rest.Brian Connold , a postman in Creeting St Mary, has hung up his trademark blue coat and put down his sack after 37 years of service.
A DEDICATED postie who has spent almost four decades standing and delivering is today taking a well-earned rest.
Brian Connold , a postman in Creeting St Mary, has hung up his trademark blue coat and put down his sack after 37 years of service.
Mr Connold, of Priestly Road, Needham Market, has become a familiar face in mid Suffolk but has now retired from his career delivering letters and parcels.
The 60-year-old has always been a traditional postman – using a bicycle rather than a van – but says he only got the job as a stop-gap.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "After school I went to engineering college and worked at Ransomes and Rapiers, but when I was in my young 20s I decided I wanted to spend more time on two of my hobbies, sign-writing and painting.
"I joined the Post Office as a temporary measure but have been doing it ever since in parallel with other things.
- 1 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 2 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 3 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
- 4 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 5 Felixstowe woman accused of setting fire to caravan and drink driving
- 6 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 7 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 8 Arrest warrants issued for men facing sheep charges
- 9 Driver presses ahead with police complaint despite losing speeding trial
- 10 40 new technology jobs announced at BT
"I've retired as I want to spend more time painting but people might still see me about because I do the occasional shift as relief work.
"I've met some great people and have been told I'll be missed.
"The job changed over the years. Christmas used to be by far the busiest time but now all year round is busy.
"And people don't send letters like they use to, it's mostly commercial post now."
Mr Connold leaves the Creeting St Mary round after 23 years service. Previously, he delivered on various rounds in the Needham Market area.
Do you know someone whose retiring after years of dedicated service? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or send us an e-mail to email@example.com