Powerless for eight weeks
AN absolute nightmare.These are the words of an Ipswich man who had no electricity in his flat for almost two months and who ended up in hospital having taken an overdose.
AN absolute nightmare.
These are the words of an Ipswich man who had no electricity in his flat for almost two months and who ended up in hospital having taken an overdose.
David Lewis, 31, who suffers from depression, moved into his Ipswich flat at the beginning of March. But for around eight weeks, his only electricity was via extension leads.
He said: "I had an extension lead running from the next flat, where a friend of mine lives.
You may also want to watch:
"There was no heating or light. I had to share my friend's cooker and I couldn't even wash my clothes in the washing machine
"The only power I had was from the two extension leads.
- 1 Man caught in Ipswich park paedophile sting jailed for more than two years
- 2 Central Ipswich office tower could be converted into more than 100 flats
- 3 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 4 Dog mess thrown at Ipswich bakery staff in 'nasty' attack
- 5 Ipswich lorry drivers raise a glass as haulage firm launches in-house watering hole
- 6 Woman accused of fraudulently giving £75k to son while bankrupt
- 7 Ipswich teenage boy arrested over stabbing
- 8 Power cuts in Ipswich leave businesses closed
- 9 'Large stones' thrown at lorry from A14 bridge near Ipswich
- 10 Is Babergh Council the 'neighbour from hell' in planning?
"I had to stay at my friend's flat overnight. It was just a small one-bedroom flat. I had to sleep in a Z-bed in his bedroom.
"I really appreciate his help. I don't know if I would have coped without him."
However, while the power was off Mr Lewis took an overdose.
He said: "It was just stressing me out and was putting me under so much pressure that I couldn't handle it any more.
"I just to the stage where I had had enough. I was trying to get help. I didn't know who to turn to and that is why I took the overdose."
There is still confusion as to why the flat had no electricity for so long.
Landlord Peter Kingham, of Kingswood Investments, but, after many phone calls a new meter was eventually fitted.
Mr Kingham, who has given Mr Lewis a month's rent, said: "I feel disgusted with Powergen.
"We felt we were banging our heads against a brick wall. I think we put in about 83 calls altogether."
A spokeswoman for Powergen, which sent Mr Lewis a £15 voucher, was unable to shed much light on the mystery.
She said: "We apologise for the delay in connecting Mr Lewis' electricity supply. The setback arose due to a lapse in communication.
"We're pleased to say that this matter has now been resolved and we apologise again for the delay and inconvenience this has caused Mr Lewis, which is not in line with Powergen's usual high levels of customer service."
A spokeswoman from Siemens said they were looking into the matter and agreed with Powergen's statement.