Pre-match flypast for fans
FOOTBALL fans arriving early at Portman Road for the derby match with Norwich on Sunday should enjoy extra pre-match entertainment – an RAF flypast.Four Tornado fighters will fly over the ground on their way to the Battle of Britain Day commemoration in London.
FOOTBALL fans arriving early at Portman Road for the derby match with Norwich on Sunday should enjoy extra pre-match entertainment – an RAF flypast.
Four Tornado fighters will fly over the ground on their way to the Battle of Britain Day commemoration in London.
The four planes, based at RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire, will make a diamond formation over the North Sea off Southwold.
From there they will fly south west over Ipswich and along the line of the A12 before flying over Westminster Abbey at 11.20am.
They are due to fly over Ipswich shortly after 11am – but this could change if the London ceremony is delayed at all.
It will be the second time this summer that aviation enthusiasts in east Suffolk have had a chance to see a flypast from the comfort of their own homes.
- 1 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 2 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 3 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
- 4 'A lovely green space' - race against time to buy mini-Ipswich woodland
- 5 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 6 New Ipswich council houses and microhomes win awards
- 7 Judge reassures town centre is 'open for business' after robbery trial
- 8 Emergency roadworks on busy Ipswich street to fix leaking water main
- 9 Driver taken to hospital after two vehicle crash near Ipswich train station
- 10 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
The golden jubilee flypast in June followed the same route – giving Suffolk residents the chance to see the planes before the Royal Family.
Sunday's flypast will not be as large as the earlier one – which featured Concorde flying in formation with the Red Arrows.
But it's certain to make a roar in the skies above Suffolk!