Pret A Manger the latest big-name chain to head for Ipswich town centre
- Credit: Archant
Up-market takeaway chain Pret A Manger is the latest big-name chain to be planning to come to Ipswich.
The store is currently advertising for a general manager to run an outlet in the town.
The exact location of the likely branch of the company is not yet confirmed. It is understood to be looking at creating a new unit in one of the most prominent locations in the town centre.
Pret A Manger is one of the national chains that was on a “wish list” of possible arrivals that the Ipswich Vision partners were hoping to attract to the town – it has branches in most other similar-sized towns and cities across the country.
It specialises in selling sandwiches and salads made on the premises – and most branches also have space to eat on the premises or at a pavement table.
Ipswich council leader David Ellesmere said he was delighted to see the job advert which indicated that Pret A Manger were preparing to come to the town.
He said: “This is one of the major retail names that we were hoping to attract to the town and now it looks as if they will be coming.
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 3 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 4 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 5 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 6 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 7 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 8 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
- 9 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 10 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
“We don’t know exactly where they are looking, but the fact that they are putting in an advertisement for a general manager suggests they are very serious about the plans and I hope they are not too far away from sorting things out. This is just the kind of new business that we want to see in the centre of Ipswich.”
The town centre has seen extensive development over the last two years, especially with food outlets – the Buttermarket Centre has seen the arrival of a number of new family restaurants along with the new Empire cinema.
But there have also been new cafes and food retailers open elsewhere in the town centre.
Pret A Manger said it was not able to confirm any plans for Ipswich – but the publication of a job advertisement is often the indication that a company is preparing to open a branch in a new location.