Primark set to expand as upmarket fashion chain Gap plans to close store in Ipswich town centre
Speculation is mounting that up-market fashion chain Gap is about to announce the closure of its Ipswich town centre store.
However there may not be a void on Westgate Street for long – budget clothing chain Primark is expected to take over the neighbouring store.
Members of staff at Gap told customers at the weekend that their store is due to close at the end of the month – an official announcement is expected within the next few days.
Primark is next to Gap on the street, and there are hopes that an enlarged store could be a major attraction for the town centre.
The budget clothing retailer has recently started rolling out a new style of store in its larger locations – and town centre bosses hope that might come to Ipswich.
You may also want to watch:
Ipswich Central chief executive Paul Clement said: “If the changes are confirmed my feeling is that it is a great shame that Gap should close its store.
“However if Primark expand and convert a larger store into its new retailing format that could turn into a real shot in the arm for Ipswich town centre.”
Why are so few people shopping in Ipswich town centre? More here
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 4 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 5 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 6 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 7 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 8 Man caused £26k worth of damage after setting fire to van and car
- 9 London man who travelled to meet decoy teen to stand trial
- 10 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store