Pub closed by police
A PUB in Woodbridge is closed today after Suffolk Police served the county's first closure order on a public house.The order was served on The Angel, in Theatre Street, at 5.
A PUB in Woodbridge is closed today after Suffolk Police served the county's first closure order on a public house.
The order was served on The Angel, in Theatre Street, at 5.30pm yesterday following complaints from local residents about the behaviour of some of the people who visited the pub.
The order was made on the basis that excessive noise was disturbing the public and the only way to prevent it was by closing the premises.
Inspector Ben Cook, Woodbridge sector commander said police were acting in response to calls from the public over anti-social behaviour.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "Where sufficient evidence can be gathered, we will take action to prevent problems.
"Police are committed to tackling anti-social behaviour and we will use all the measures available to us to try to ensure those who want to enjoy a good night can do it in safe and friendly surroundings, and that local residents are not disturbed."
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Man taken to hospital after becoming stuck in mud in Ipswich riverbank
- 3 Man jailed for attacking teenage girl with saucepan and meat cleaver in Ipswich
- 4 WATCH: Ever Given docks at Felixstowe after four-month delay
- 5 Developer 'ecstatic' as multi-million pound town hotel gets green light
- 6 Couple avoid jail for campaign of harassment against neighbour
- 7 New streetfood restaurant set to open in Ipswich Corn Exchange
- 8 Ipswich man charged over alleged cocaine dealing
- 9 Five of the best places to cure your hangover in Ipswich
The notice means the pub will be closed for 24 hours but police may extend this if necessary. If an extension order takes place there must be a court hearing before licensing magistrates at the earliest opportunity.