Pub needs emergency beer after fire

A PUB in Ipswich was today hoping to get an emergency supply of beer after an electrical fire damaged its beer cooling unit.

A PUB in Ipswich was today hoping to get an emergency supply of beer after an electrical fire damaged its beer cooling unit.

The Greyhound Pub in Henley Road had to be evacuated last night after a blaze broke out in the cellar at 9.50pm.

Landlord Nigel Paul, who was having a night off, returned to his pub to find two fire engines outside. A staff member spotted smoke coming through the floor boards and alerted the fire service.

The fire was caused by an electrical blaze in a beer cooler unit and caused light smoke logging in the cellar.

Crews from Colchester Road and Princes Street had the incident under control by 10.30pm, but as there was still the smell of smoke around, the pub did not reopen.

Mr Paul said: “It means I cannot sell draught, lager or cider until I get a new one sorted. I put an emergency call into the brewery so I hope it will be delivered today. If the worse comes to the worst, I can always get bottled beer in.

Most Read

“There were quite a few people in but our peak time is between 7.30pm and 9.30pm so people were beginning to leave anyway.

“I'm just glad it did not happen late at night. When I went upstairs to the flat there was a smell of smoke and my smoke alarm wasn't working for some reason.

“Also the only damage caused was to the beer cooling unit so I am quite lucky in that respect too.”