Pub raided while family slept
A GANG of four hooded burglars broke into a village pub in the early hours while the family slept, stealing everything from cash to a karaoke machine.The burglars struck at The Shepherd and Dog pub in Onehouse, near Stowmarket, while landlords Chris and Elly White slept.
A GANG of four hooded burglars broke into a village pub in the early hours while the family slept, stealing everything from cash to a karaoke machine.
The burglars struck at The Shepherd and Dog pub in Onehouse, near Stowmarket, while landlords Chris and Elly White slept.
Mrs White's 78-year-old mother Freda Fleming was also asleep as the burglars walked back and forth past their bedrooms to get to the pub office.
The gang, who were caught on CCTV cameras which the couple had installed, made off with £1,600 takings, Mr White's car, a £200 karaoke machine, nearly £200 worth of cigarettes, Mr White's suede jacket and mobile phone, a power tool and keys to the pub.
They also caused damage during the break-in after getting in through a window, and Mr and Mrs White believe the theft, damage and cost of changing locks will cost them £5,500.
The pub has been targeted once before by thieves, and they are now buying a guard dog to increase security.
- 1 Suffolk M&S stores to stay open as Colchester shop closes down
- 2 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 3 Teenage boys arrested after police seize suspected class A drugs in Ipswich
- 4 Man caught in undercover police sting trying to meet '13-year-old girl'
- 5 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 6 Cannabis dealer jailed after being caught with drugs in Range Rover
- 7 Two cars have windows smashed in same Ipswich residential street
- 8 Man who attacked partner after she travelled 10 hours to see him is jailed
- 9 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 10 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
Mrs White, 50, said: "We feel violated, really sick. We are still in shock, looking round trying to see if other things have been taken.
"We worked so hard and someone comes in and helps themselves to our hard earned cash. If my mother had got up in the night to go to the bathroom and seen all these hooded people she could have died of shock. It would have killed her.''
Regulars have been rallying round the couple, including Peter Moss from the Chilton Hall estate in Stowmarket, who has been helping the couple replace the locks and repair the damage.
Mr White, 44, said: "We were all asleep and did not hear a thing. It's a violation of our privacy, it's the fact they got into our home."
The couple discovered the break-in at 4am on Saturday, when they woke up. They had a wedding party in the pub on Saturday morning and continued to open the pub, insisting it would be business as usual.
Anyone with information about the burglary should contact Pc Hannah Bushnell on 01284 774100, or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.