Pub raided while family slept
A GANG of four hooded burglars broke into a village pub in the early hours while the family slept, stealing everything from cash to a karaoke machine.The burglars struck at The Shepherd and Dog pub in Onehouse, near Stowmarket, while landlords Chris and Elly White slept.
A GANG of four hooded burglars broke into a village pub in the early hours while the family slept, stealing everything from cash to a karaoke machine.
The burglars struck at The Shepherd and Dog pub in Onehouse, near Stowmarket, while landlords Chris and Elly White slept.
Mrs White's 78-year-old mother Freda Fleming was also asleep as the burglars walked back and forth past their bedrooms to get to the pub office.
The gang, who were caught on CCTV cameras which the couple had installed, made off with £1,600 takings, Mr White's car, a £200 karaoke machine, nearly £200 worth of cigarettes, Mr White's suede jacket and mobile phone, a power tool and keys to the pub.
You may also want to watch:
They also caused damage during the break-in after getting in through a window, and Mr and Mrs White believe the theft, damage and cost of changing locks will cost them £5,500.
The pub has been targeted once before by thieves, and they are now buying a guard dog to increase security.
- 1 Person in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 2 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 3 Ipswich tops rankings for Suffolk's Japanese knotweed infestations
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 Big Hoot revealed as latest Ipswich art trail for 2022
- 6 Air ambulance lands near Ipswich shops after medical emergency
- 7 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 8 Developers seek views on plans for 150 homes on farmland
- 9 'They saved a life' - neighbour praises firefighters in Ipswich house blaze
- 10 Iconic names, a disastrous relationship and now a music superstar - the evolution of Town’s shirt sponsors
Mrs White, 50, said: "We feel violated, really sick. We are still in shock, looking round trying to see if other things have been taken.
"We worked so hard and someone comes in and helps themselves to our hard earned cash. If my mother had got up in the night to go to the bathroom and seen all these hooded people she could have died of shock. It would have killed her.''
Regulars have been rallying round the couple, including Peter Moss from the Chilton Hall estate in Stowmarket, who has been helping the couple replace the locks and repair the damage.
Mr White, 44, said: "We were all asleep and did not hear a thing. It's a violation of our privacy, it's the fact they got into our home."
The couple discovered the break-in at 4am on Saturday, when they woke up. They had a wedding party in the pub on Saturday morning and continued to open the pub, insisting it would be business as usual.
Anyone with information about the burglary should contact Pc Hannah Bushnell on 01284 774100, or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.