Pupils offered support after rape
DISTRESSED pupils at a school near to where a teenager was raped were today being offered counselling.Mike Everett, headteacher of Thurleston High School in Defoe Road, Ipswich, said the community was shocked following Friday's sex attack on a 16-year-old girl in a field next to the school.
DISTRESSED pupils at a school near to where a teenager was raped were today being offered counselling.
Mike Everett, headteacher of Thurleston High School in Defoe Road, Ipswich, said the community was shocked following Friday's sex attack on a 16-year-old girl in a field next to the school.
Mr Everett said: "This is a really shocking incident. We're a small and very close community and when something like this happens it does shock everybody.
"Our priority at the moment is any pupils who are particularly concerned by their own safety or distressed about what has happened, giving them counselling and advice."
You may also want to watch:
He added: "Our main priority is pupils, who are naturally upset by what has happened, are comforted."
The girl had gone to a field and at some point felt unwell and lay down. Shortly afterwards, she became aware of a man touching her and she was then raped.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 3 'My life is on hold' – Ipswich man's plea for life-changing surgery
- 4 Did you enjoy a night out at Splitz Bar in 2002?
- 5 'Kind and caring' friend of the football community dies
- 6 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 7 Historic Waterfront church to be new Ipswich music venue
- 8 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 9 Risk of thundery showers this evening, say forecasters
- 10 New Ipswich fine food store is back - and smoked eels prove a hit
The man left and the victim went home and told her mother she had been assaulted.
Det Chief Insp John Quinton said: "The victim is traumatised by what took place. A specialist rape-trained officer has been working with her to try to piece together exactly what happened. Further officers have been taking statements from friends of the victim and others who had been in the area."
Anyone who was in the area on Friday from 8pm to 12.30am on Saturday and who has any information should call Ipswich police station on 01473 383198.