Pupils offered support after rape
DISTRESSED pupils at a school near to where a teenager was raped were today being offered counselling.Mike Everett, headteacher of Thurleston High School in Defoe Road, Ipswich, said the community was shocked following Friday's sex attack on a 16-year-old girl in a field next to the school.
DISTRESSED pupils at a school near to where a teenager was raped were today being offered counselling.
Mike Everett, headteacher of Thurleston High School in Defoe Road, Ipswich, said the community was shocked following Friday's sex attack on a 16-year-old girl in a field next to the school.
Mr Everett said: "This is a really shocking incident. We're a small and very close community and when something like this happens it does shock everybody.
"Our priority at the moment is any pupils who are particularly concerned by their own safety or distressed about what has happened, giving them counselling and advice."
He added: "Our main priority is pupils, who are naturally upset by what has happened, are comforted."
The girl had gone to a field and at some point felt unwell and lay down. Shortly afterwards, she became aware of a man touching her and she was then raped.
- 1 Beautiful new bottomless brunches launch at Ipswich bar
- 2 Family's gratitude after Christmas samaritan's £50 act of kindness
- 3 Man arrested after Ipswich train station incident released
- 4 'Lovely to be acknowledged' - Ipswich craft shop pleased with bounce back
- 5 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 6 Ipswich Station closed as man arrested for possessing a firearm
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Court to decide how much swindler should repay customers
- 9 'Really lovely and easy to talk to' - Tributes to passionate beekeeper Alan
- 10 Cash agreed for £1.9m school expansion project
The man left and the victim went home and told her mother she had been assaulted.
Det Chief Insp John Quinton said: "The victim is traumatised by what took place. A specialist rape-trained officer has been working with her to try to piece together exactly what happened. Further officers have been taking statements from friends of the victim and others who had been in the area."
Anyone who was in the area on Friday from 8pm to 12.30am on Saturday and who has any information should call Ipswich police station on 01473 383198.