Pupils offered support after rape
DISTRESSED pupils at a school near to where a teenager was raped were today being offered counselling.Mike Everett, headteacher of Thurleston High School in Defoe Road, Ipswich, said the community was shocked following Friday's sex attack on a 16-year-old girl in a field next to the school.
DISTRESSED pupils at a school near to where a teenager was raped were today being offered counselling.
Mike Everett, headteacher of Thurleston High School in Defoe Road, Ipswich, said the community was shocked following Friday's sex attack on a 16-year-old girl in a field next to the school.
Mr Everett said: "This is a really shocking incident. We're a small and very close community and when something like this happens it does shock everybody.
"Our priority at the moment is any pupils who are particularly concerned by their own safety or distressed about what has happened, giving them counselling and advice."
You may also want to watch:
He added: "Our main priority is pupils, who are naturally upset by what has happened, are comforted."
The girl had gone to a field and at some point felt unwell and lay down. Shortly afterwards, she became aware of a man touching her and she was then raped.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 3 'Gutted' Ipswich burger van man loses everything in fire devastation
- 4 Heavy police presence spotted in Ipswich as man arrested
- 5 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 6 Mum opens eco-friendly refill store thanks to savings and public donations
- 7 New Starbucks drive thru set to open in Ipswich
- 8 Man charged with assault after police officer punched in the face
- 9 Man left with life-changing injuries following stabbing in Ipswich
- 10 Stuck Suez Canal ship delayed to Felixstowe after arriving in Rotterdam
The man left and the victim went home and told her mother she had been assaulted.
Det Chief Insp John Quinton said: "The victim is traumatised by what took place. A specialist rape-trained officer has been working with her to try to piece together exactly what happened. Further officers have been taking statements from friends of the victim and others who had been in the area."
Anyone who was in the area on Friday from 8pm to 12.30am on Saturday and who has any information should call Ipswich police station on 01473 383198.