Pupils says thanks to charity runners
YOUNGSTERS at a Martlesham primary school will soon be able to raise the roof thanks to a trio of marathon runners.Stephen Stokes, Douglas Paine and Colin Gray, who are all in their 40s, completed the Washington Marathon and raised around £2,500 for the Martlesham Beacon Hill County Primary School.
YOUNGSTERS at a Martlesham primary school will soon be able to raise the roof thanks to a trio of marathon runners.
Stephen Stokes, Douglas Paine and Colin Gray, who are all in their 40s, completed the Washington Marathon and raised around £2,500 for the Martlesham Beacon Hill County Primary School.
The fundraising effort is part of a Raise the Roof campaign to generate enough money for a new swimming pool roof, which will cost £45,000.
Mr Paine said: "We are pleased with the amount of money we have raised, especially as it's a very small school. The marathon was quite hard work, especially when we hit the 23-mile marker."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Stokes said: "It was a lovely day and the sun was out. It all went really well."
Running the marathon has pushed the total amount of money raised over the £20,000 mark. Various charity events have already been held, including a sponsored swim, a golf day and a disco.
- 1 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 2 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 3 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 4 Kesgrave shooting: Trial date agreed as boy faces attempted murder charge
- 5 Did you enjoy a night out at Splitz Bar in 2002?
- 6 Labour lose seats but retain power: Ipswich election results in full
- 7 'My life is on hold' – Ipswich man's plea for life-changing surgery
- 8 New Ipswich fine food store is back - and smoked eels prove a hit
- 9 Walking back to happiness - 18 great trails to follow and a festival
- 10 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
The school is currently in the process of applying for extra grants to boost the total. If this proves successful, it is hoped construction of the roof will begin in March.
Head teacher Nick Hawes said: "It's absolutely excellent what these guys have done.
"Getting a roof for our swimming pool will give us a lot of possibilities. It will be used by the pupils and the community."
If anyone would like to help the appeal, contact Martlesham Beacon Hill County Primary School, in Black Tiles Lane, Martlesham. You can telephone the school on 01473 624409.