Pupils says thanks to charity runners
YOUNGSTERS at a Martlesham primary school will soon be able to raise the roof thanks to a trio of marathon runners.Stephen Stokes, Douglas Paine and Colin Gray, who are all in their 40s, completed the Washington Marathon and raised around £2,500 for the Martlesham Beacon Hill County Primary School.
YOUNGSTERS at a Martlesham primary school will soon be able to raise the roof thanks to a trio of marathon runners.
Stephen Stokes, Douglas Paine and Colin Gray, who are all in their 40s, completed the Washington Marathon and raised around £2,500 for the Martlesham Beacon Hill County Primary School.
The fundraising effort is part of a Raise the Roof campaign to generate enough money for a new swimming pool roof, which will cost £45,000.
Mr Paine said: "We are pleased with the amount of money we have raised, especially as it's a very small school. The marathon was quite hard work, especially when we hit the 23-mile marker."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Stokes said: "It was a lovely day and the sun was out. It all went really well."
Running the marathon has pushed the total amount of money raised over the £20,000 mark. Various charity events have already been held, including a sponsored swim, a golf day and a disco.
- 1 Police release CCTV after wallet stolen from Aldi store in Ipswich
- 2 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 3 Woman's bank cards used minutes after being stolen in supermarket car park
- 4 Aldi looking for new site in north east Ipswich
- 5 Covid rules reintroduced at Ipswich school after cases surge
- 6 'I want to train as HGV driver but there are so many delays'
- 7 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 8 Ipswich man denies multiple rape offences as trial begins
- 9 Ipswich man led police on 55 mile chase at 120mph
- 10 First look at iconic venue The Baths ahead of Sound City Ipswich Festival
The school is currently in the process of applying for extra grants to boost the total. If this proves successful, it is hoped construction of the roof will begin in March.
Head teacher Nick Hawes said: "It's absolutely excellent what these guys have done.
"Getting a roof for our swimming pool will give us a lot of possibilities. It will be used by the pupils and the community."
If anyone would like to help the appeal, contact Martlesham Beacon Hill County Primary School, in Black Tiles Lane, Martlesham. You can telephone the school on 01473 624409.