Racist attack pair face jail
TWO Kosovan cousins are facing jail for punching and kicking a man to the floor in a vicious racist attack.Lulzim Deda and Bujar Gashi were found guilty of subjecting 38-year-old Kevin Morrison to a torrent of racial abuse before attacking him.
TWO Kosovan cousins are facing jail for punching and kicking a man to the floor in a racist attack.
Lulzim Deda and Bujar Gashi were found guilty of subjecting 38-year-old Kevin Morrison to a torrent of racial abuse before attacking him.
Both men had denied assault causing actual bodily harm. But in adjourning the case for reports, magistrates made it clear the pair could go to prison.
South-East Suffolk Magistrates Court heard that Deda, 28, of London Road South, Lowestoft, and Gashi, 22, of St Francis Tower, Ipswich, were drinking at an Ipswich nightspot on November 2 last year.
You may also want to watch:
The pair were part of a group celebrating Gashi's first wedding anniversary – but the celebration turned to violence as they left the Northgate Street club.
Mr Morrison said he was talking to a doorman after leaving the club when he was attacked.
- 1 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 2 Labour lose seats but retain power: Ipswich election results in full
- 3 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 Kesgrave shooting: Trial date agreed as boy faces attempted murder charge
- 6 Driver faces court after BMW clocked at 110mph on A14
- 7 Cyclist suffers injuries after crash in Ipswich
- 8 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 9 Receptionist spent 40 days and nights living in Ipswich animal shelter
- 10 Man caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
He said Gashi started shouting racial abuse and then crossed the street to confront him.
Deda then ran across the street, aiming a karate-style kick at Mr Morrison. The pair then rained blows on the victim, kicking and punching him to the ground.
Mr Morrison said he suffered a karate kick to the head during what he said was an unprovoked attack.
The cousins claimed Mr Morrison started the fight by punching Gashi in the mouth during an argument outside the club.
Gashi said his wife had complained about being "touched up" by Mr Morrison, so he went outside to confront him.
Deda claimed he left the club intending to help his cousin, but failed to find him in the crowd.
During the fight, Gashi admitted trying to punch and kick Mr Morrison, but denied attacking him while he was on the ground.
Magistrates adjourned sentencing until September 13. They asked for a report to consider all possible punishments – including prison.