Search

Racists strike in Ipswich

PUBLISHED: 12:30 14 May 2002 | UPDATED: 11:55 03 March 2010

RACISTS have struck in Ipswich by posting a sick leaflet to homes in two areas of the town.

Police have been called in after the leaflets were delivered in the Ancaster Road and Henley Road areas of the town.

RACISTS have struck in Ipswich by posting a sick leaflet to homes in two areas of the town.

Police have been called in after the leaflets were delivered in the Ancaster Road and Henley Road areas of the town.

The news has shocked police and community workers who have worked hard to counteract racism in the area.

The six-page A3 folded document was described as "deeply offensive" and attacks several minority ethnic groups.

There was no indication of who had written the leaflet, and no one saw the copies being delivered.

Police have undertaken house to house inquiries in the areas to try to find out where it had come from.

It was delivered to a number of homes in the areas – and police do not believe it was targeted at specific individuals or families.

"Racism will not be tolerated in Suffolk," said Supt Carl Puiy of Ipswich police.

"Distribution of written material which is likely to stir up racial hatred is an offence under Section 18 of the Public Order Act and is punishable by two years' imprisonment.

"These are deeply offensive leaflets for which no one has claimed authorship. We take incidents of this nature very seriously and we are determined to bring those responsible to justice."

Former mayor and founder of the Ipswich Caribbean Association Albert Grant was shocked to hear about the incidents.

"I really would not have expected this kind of thing to happen in Ipswich. We have worked very hard to promote good relations with all areas of the community.

"I had not heard about this, but I shall be calling in to ISCRE (Ipswich and Suffolk Council for Racial Equality) to find out all I can about it."

ISCRE director Sam Budu had not heard about the leaflet – but said there had been increasing tension for refugees in the wake of the controversial French presidential election when extreme right-winger Jean Marie Le Pen came second in the poll.

There has also been rising racial tension in other parts of England – culminating in the election of two British National Party councillors in Burnley in Lancashire.

Police have appealed for anyone with any information about the leaflet to contact them on 01473-613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800-555111.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

An Ipswich-based law firm said it is unlikely the coronavirus stamp duty holiday will be backdated to March, despite a growing campaign. Last week chancellor Rishi Sunak announced that property buyers would pay no stamp duty on homes worth less than £500,000. According to Birketts law firm, this means someone buying a house for £341,091 – the average price of a house in East Anglia – would save £7,054. Now, a national law firm, Simpson Millar, has called on the government to backdate this tax cut to the beginning of lockdown on March 31. Sarah Ryan, head of private client and conveyancing at the firm, said: “We of course welcome the plans announced to freeze the stamp duty costs on any property up to the value of £500,000 which will not only encourage potential buyers to move on and up the proverbial ladder, but will also help to retain jobs in the real estate sector. “However, there is no denying that for some, in particular those individuals, couples and families who have managed to complete on the purchase of their home either during lockdown, or in the immediate aftermath, this will come as a bitter blow.” A petition calling for the government to backdate the holiday even further has gained nearly 10,000 signatures. If the petition reaches 10,000 signatures the government has to respond and if the petition reaches 100,000 then a debate in parliament must be held. But Karl Pocock, partner and head of tax at Birketts, does not think the government is likely to make this move. He said: “Although there are calls for Rishi Sunak to backdate the reduced stamp duty rates to the start of lockdown, the Chancellor’s goal seems to be to galvanise the housing market now. As such, much as a backdated rate cut would be very welcome news for anyone that had completed on a property purchase prior to the change in stamp duty rates, it is, in our view, unlikely. “The various residential property teams at Birketts have seen a surge in transactions as lockdown restrictions were lifted. Much of this activity was existing transactions restarting. However, we expect that the reduction in stamp duty rates will provide a further, sustained, boost to this part of the economy in the short term.”