Rail chaos as passengers leave train
RAIL services between Ipswich and London were thrown into chaos today after reports of a fire on a train in Essex.Problems mounted when frustrated passengers got off a train at Ingatestone and wandered on to the track – causing more delays.
RAIL services between Ipswich and London were thrown into chaos today after reports of a fire on a train in Essex.
Problems mounted when frustrated passengers got off a train at Ingatestone and wandered on to the track – causing more delays.
Smoke was seen coming from a diesel locomotive pulling empty carriages from London to Norwich as it passed through Shenfield at lunchtime.
The train was stopped and the fire service was called out to deal with it.
You may also want to watch:
The fire was not serious and no one was hurt, however the overhead electric lines were cut off and all trains were stopped for two hours.
During this time passengers on a train waiting near Ingatestone became frustrated and climbed on to the track.
- 1 Ipswich bar forced to close early after staff attacked
- 2 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 3 New restaurant set to open at former Little Waitrose store this year
- 4 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 5 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 6 Man jailed for attacking teenage girl with saucepan and meat cleaver in Ipswich
- 7 Celebrations as Starbucks opens its new Ipswich drive-thru
- 8 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 9 Woman injured after being struck by van near Morrisons in Ipswich
- 10 Man released on bail after central Ipswich stabbing
When the power was due to be switched on again, trains were further delayed while British Transport Police officers were sent to clear the people on the track.
Services were disrupted most of the afternoon, and were only expected to return to normal during the evening.