Rail chaos as passengers leave train
RAIL services between Ipswich and London were thrown into chaos today after reports of a fire on a train in Essex.Problems mounted when frustrated passengers got off a train at Ingatestone and wandered on to the track – causing more delays.
RAIL services between Ipswich and London were thrown into chaos today after reports of a fire on a train in Essex.
Problems mounted when frustrated passengers got off a train at Ingatestone and wandered on to the track – causing more delays.
Smoke was seen coming from a diesel locomotive pulling empty carriages from London to Norwich as it passed through Shenfield at lunchtime.
The train was stopped and the fire service was called out to deal with it.
You may also want to watch:
The fire was not serious and no one was hurt, however the overhead electric lines were cut off and all trains were stopped for two hours.
During this time passengers on a train waiting near Ingatestone became frustrated and climbed on to the track.
- 1 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 2 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 3 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 4 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 5 Man caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 6 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 7 'They saved a life' - neighbour praises firefighters in Ipswich house blaze
- 8 Developers seek views on plans for 150 homes on farmland
- 9 Ipswich tops rankings for Suffolk's Japanese knotweed infestations
- 10 New Oasis Lounge bar planned for former Waterfront gym site
When the power was due to be switched on again, trains were further delayed while British Transport Police officers were sent to clear the people on the track.
Services were disrupted most of the afternoon, and were only expected to return to normal during the evening.