Rail delays in region after emergency tunnel work near Ipswich train station
- Credit: Archant
Rail services in Suffolk were delayed on Thursday night due to emergency engineering work.
Network Rail engineers carried out essential track repairs in the tunnel near Ipswich train station. It started at 11pm and is expected to finish at 5am on Friday.
The 8pm Norwich to London Liverpool Street was the only service cancelled. Other services were delayed or involved a bus replacement.
A spokesman for Abellio Greater Anglia said: “Owing to Network Rail engineers carrying out emergency track repairs in Ipswich tunnel on Thursday night, there are a number of alterations that will affect Abellio Greater Anglia train services.
“Engineers will be carrying out this essential work between Manningtree and Ipswich.”
Service alterations on Thursday include: the 10pm Liverpool Street to Ipswich will be terminated at Manningtree, with a rail replacement bus running from Colchester to Ipswich, via Manningtree.
The 10.30pm London Liverpool Street to Norwich will be started at Ipswich
- 1 Man 'punched and slashed' in serious assault in car park at Ipswich B&M
- 2 Ellie uses 4 tonne truck to make impressive entrance at school prom
- 3 Burger van owner's anger after thieves steal food from trailer in Ipswich
- 4 Ipswich firm admits mis-selling foam loft insulation to Suffolk customers
- 5 'Fantastic opportunity' as Ipswich's Thomas Wolsey pub listed for sale
- 6 5 award-winning restaurants in and around Ipswich you need to visit
- 7 Travellers remain at Ipswich park after arrival last week
- 8 Search ongoing for 29-year-old Suffolk man missing for three weeks
- 9 23-year-old Felixstowe woman pleads guilty to assault
- 10 Thief who stole from Ipswich shops to fuel drug habit jailed
The 11.02pm London Liverpool Street to Ipswich will terminate at Colchester, with a rail replacement bus running from Colchester to Ipswich, via Manningtree.
The 23:30 London Liverpool Street to Norwich will run through to Norwich, but is expected to be delayed by about 15 to 20 minutes en route from Manningtree to Ipswich.
The following service alterations will apply on Friday: the 5.20am Clacton-On-Sea to Liverpool Street will terminate at Colchester. The 5.40am Colchester to Peterborough will start at Ipswich. The 7.02am Liverpool Street to Braintree will start at Witham. The 7.08am Liverpool Street to Ipswich will start at Colchester.
The Abellio Greater Anglia spokesman added: “We are sorry for the additional delay and disruption to your journey that will be caused by these short notice alterations.
“We would like to make you aware of our delay repay policy which can be found on the Abellio Greater Anglia website.”